By becoming a Parish Councillor you become someone your community will look to for help, guidance and support – a community leader with the power to influence decisions for the benefit of the people you serve.
Seeing your community change for the better, as a result of decisions you have helped make, is something that can give you a sense of achievement and pride.
Waldridge Parish Council currently have two vacancies. If you would like to apply, please download and complete our application form (available here) and return to the Parish Clerk – email@example.com by the 1st of September 2019.
To become a Parish Councillor, you must:
- be a UK or Commonwealth citizen
- be a citizen of the Republic of Ireland
- be a citizen of another Member state of the European Union
- be at least 18 years old
To be eligible to become a Parish Councillor for a particular Parish, you must:
- be an elector of the Parish
- for the whole of the previous 12 months have occupied (as owner or tenant) land or other premises in the parish
- during the previous 12 months have worked in the parish (as your principal or only place of work)
- for the whole of the previous 12 months lived in the parish or within three miles of the parish boundary
If you do become a Parish Councillor you will have to sign up to the Parish Council’s Code of Conduct.
You will be required to attend the monthly Council meeting, to which members of the public are also invited. Meetings begin at 7pm and last for around two hours, depending on what’s on the agenda of items to discuss.
Length of service
Once elected, Parish Councillors sit on the council for a maximum of four years. If they then want to stay in the post they can stand for re-election.
This doesn’t mean that you have to stay for four years, if you find it’s not for you or you can no longer meet the commitment you can stand down.
Find Out More
If you would like to hear what it’s like to be a Parish Councillor from those who really know, please don’t hesitate to contact any of our Councillors, who will be happy to share their experiences with you. Contact details for all Councillors can be found on the ‘Councillors’ page under ‘About Us’.